Friday 21 September 2012

The Astrology of Tarot


There are four suits in Tarot as in playing cards. They can each be equated with an astrological element.
Wands = Fire Signs i.e. Aries, Leo and Sagittarius
Pentacles = Earth Signs i.e Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn
Swords = Air Signs i.e. Gemini, Libra and Aquarius
Cups = Water Signs i.e. Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces
You can see the correlation. Wands deal with our talents and enthusiasms, the fires that burn within. Pentacles deal with possessions and earthly values. Swords describe our thoughts while Air Signs are thinkers. And both Cups and Water Signs are all about feelings: owning them, using them, being lost in them.
You might find that you relate more to the Everyday Tarot (Minor Arcana) cards that match your astrological sign or they might turn up more often in readings. I notice that so far I have written three blogs about sword cards and none about cups. Maybe that's because I'm an Air Sign.
Some people have matched the star signs to particular cards in Lifelessons Tarot (the Major Arcana). I've seen Libra equated with the Justice card and Gemini with The Lovers. You can see why. Libra and Justice are both pictured as scales, both value reason and The Lovers has a dual aspect like Gemini. But I have my doubts about the usefulness of this allocation. Every card in Lifelessons Tarot is important in the journey of us all.
However I'll keep my mind open for the moment. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment